Incorporate these top 10 time-tested tips, proven to help slow the effects of growing old.
1. CALORIE RESTRICTION
- More than 2,000 studies show that the less you eat, the longer you live.
- Experts recommend reducing your calories by an average of 20 percent to 30 percent a day.
2. THE MEDITERRANEAN DIET
- Eating a diet made up of mostly fresh veggies, fruits, nuts, unsaturated fats like olive oil, whole grains, fish, and red wine while cutting down on red meat can boost heart health, lower inflammation, and help you live longer.
3. GREEN TEA
- Studies show drinking 2.5 to 5 cups a day of this ancient Asian cure-all can reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and stroke.
4. OMEGA-3 FATTY ACIDS
- The essential polyunsaturated fats found in fish and flaxseeds have been shown to reduce inflammation, fight heart disease, and prevent age-related blindness.
- For anti-aging benefits, take 2 to 4 grams of omega-3s with DHA and EPA a day.
- Combat cellular damage and look younger by eating the USDA’s top antioxidant-rich foods: Berries, plums, apples, prunes, cherries, beans, pecans, artichokes, and russet potatoes.
- Look for the following in skincare formulations and dietary supplements: vitamin C (supplement with 500 to 2,000 mg a day), vitamin E (400 IU), Pycnogenol (100 mg), grapeseed extract (100 to 200 mg), and selenium (200 to 400 mcg).
- Inflammation is one of aging’s biggest culprits.
- Douse the “fire within” by eating onions and leeks, dark leafy greens, beans, nuts and seeds, garlic, ginger, turmeric, and cinnamon.
7. BRAIN BOOSTERS
- Halt dementia, improve memory and keep your mind healthy with acetyl-L-carnitine (1,000 mg a day), phosphatidylserine (150 to 300 mg), and ginkgo biloba (120 to 240 mg).
8. STRESS BUSTERS
- Stress can cause everything from reduced immunity to sagging skin.
- Calm your body, mind, and soul with daily yoga, meditation, or deep-breathing exercises.
- Minimize wrinkles and age spots with a sunscreen that blocks UVA and UVB rays.
- Make sure it doesn’t contain any skin-damaging ingredients by checking cosmeticdatabase.com.
- A properly aligned spine can take pressure off the nervous system, allowing your body to heal itself and your bones and joints to age in a balanced way. (Sources: Jonny Bowden, Ph.D., author of The Most Effective Ways to Live Longer and Erik Plasker, DC, author of The 100 Year Lifestyle.)